Monday, September 20, 2010

Intervention- Air Kissing


Hokay, so after the umpteenth time this has happened, I’ve just about had it with air kissing. Seriously, why does this happen all the damn time?
Why is there no written code or procedure as to how many times you’re meant to simultaneously hug and air kiss the person you’re meeting? One of the most hilarious images I remember from my own childhood is my mum misappropriating the person she was air kissing, thereby landing in an awkward position, reminiscent of a kiss that doesn’t involve much air. Hee hee.
Every time I meet someone, I have to go through the pressure of judging them. Its easy enough if they’re from the Middle East- 3 times. Once on the right, then left, then right. And scene.
But noooo, they gotta go and be all immigrants and shit, and now I don’t know how to greet the visiting Indian aunties who’ve been settled in Dubai since 1986. The pressure on the kiss-initiator is just immense- should you go with 2, in case they have still retained their Indian roots or should you go with 3, in respect of the new land they now call home? Or should you just hug them and be done with it?
If you go for 2 and they’re going for 3, they end up literally kissing the air. If you decide to go for 3 and they’re going for 2, with the last kiss you look like an abandoned fat kid who just wants a big hug and told ‘everything is going to be okay’.
Okay, maybe not fat, but definitely abandoned and desperate for human contact.


This is worse than selecting which dream house I'm going to live in. Honestly.

3 comments:

  1. Well, sadly (or thank God) I've never had to air kiss people enough to give much input on this :\ i think. Well maybe like once or twice which turned into chaos of course..like one of those embarrassing scenarios you mentioned above.

    I find it hilarious when middle eastern MEN air-kiss. Just recently I saw two men do this and I duno whether it was my eyes that tricked me or whether it was the lack of sleep the previous night but it actually looked like they smooched literally and not air kiss :|

    Anyway, funny post...AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yes, they have alot of bromance going on. heavy bromance.

    and thank you ... AGAIN!
    ps. was it you that clicked the 'i love you' button for the nobody does me like i do post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did click it too. but 4 other people have too.

    ReplyDelete