Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mama O Mama!

Recently Papa was on the phone with his Filipino counterpart, and Mama and I both raised our eyebrows when conversationally he goes, "Yes pare, but you see ..." as though it was such a natural part of his speech and that he's familiar with Pinoy slang. So I look at Mama and I'm like what does 'pare' even mean (to the uninitiated it means friend in Filipino)? And she goes, "well see, Papa's talking to an uncle, which means its a he. That's why he's saying pare, pare is like pyaare (loved in masculine terms). Also personally I think they should have a feminine way to address friend too, like pari, like pyaari (loved in feminine terms).

Ask Mama what her favourite animation movie is and unflinchingly she will tell you, "Up". She does genuinely like the movie, because of the storyline and especially the life montage of Carl and Ellie growing old. But ask her what she likes best about the movie and she'll go, "the title. Because it is UP. Like Uttar Pradesh". Mama happens to be a native of UP, India.

So I woke up today morning not in the best of spirits, and was a bit of a grumpy bear. I lost all my grumpiness however, when I ended up saying "shahi chakkar" instead of "chai shakkar" (a simple spoonerism mistake where instead of saying tea sugar, i ended up saying royal round).  Mama proceeds to take hold of me, shake me while simultaneously saying "Abeer, get up! Its 12pm now! Abeer, are you okay?! Abeer, come back to life. Abeer, ARE YOU HAVING A HANGOVER?!" Let is also be known to the general publics that she has never been near anyone who consumes alcohol OR seen what a hangover looks like, except in movies.

6 comments: