Sunday, August 7, 2011

What Happened In Saigon

I went hungry for a number of days (and returned with a newfound appreciation for countries where halal food isnt an issue).
I became a multi-millionaire and had more plastic currency then I knew what to do with.
I rode pillion on a bike in busy central districts of HCMC.
I almost got into a bike accident because of that.
It rained on us while we were trying to get to our destination on the bike.
We also got lost.
On a separate occasion, I got completely rained on, possessions et al. while walking towards our hotel.
I helped in oar-ing a boat on the Mekong Delta (its another matter that I totally misdirected it).
Manned a stall at the Ben Thanh night market while both shop owners went away momentarily.
Had the pleasure of sitting in the most entertaining lecture by anyone ('gorilla!').
I drank coffee. Lots of it. I think I consumed like 3 mugs' worth within 10 days.
I saw the world's most gorgeous guy at the Chu Chi tunnels.
I crawled in a tunnel that was like a minute long. 
I sang Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in a bus.
I had the best dance of my life, followed by the most amazing hugs and kisses from some of the most wonderful people in HCMC.
I saw an old lady right in front of our hotel, who I smiled at baring all my gums. She saw me, smiled back, beckoned me to sit with her while I drank my coffee (on one of those iconic small chairs and tables). She didnt speak a word of English and me, Vietnamese. But we talked. I asked her if she'd eaten, she said no. I even dropped a bit of coffee on her (on her socks no less!) but she didnt mind. I literally, hung out with her.
I was offered endless cheese and wine (+lychees) by our hotel's Uncle, who had a thing for brownies.
I took part in the most cheesy, majestically unco-ordinated and terrific bhangra dances of my life.
I saw a most gut-wrenching situation of a mother who wished her son was dead before her, because she loves him so much.
I saw a 32-year old with the mind of a 4 year old who smokes, drinks and wears a bag and walks around, thinking he's going to school.
I saw a mother, abandoned by her adopted child, left to rot and die in a tiny space, and who today has no financial support.
I visited a war museum, and saw what I'd forgotten- what war really means.
I saw a man who was a US Army war veteran who'd come back to Vietnam for the first time after last been here while he was a solider, in the Vietnam War (the moment I get my hands on his video, I'll upload it!).
I saw a man vomit quite close to me (eww).
I sang songs at the top of my lungs.
I lost my voice. But still kept singing. Adele's Rolling In The Deep.
I sat pillion on a bicycle (I cant ride bikes.) and sang Adele's Rollin In The Deep at the top of my lungs. Thank you Vi for pulling my weight, quite literally.
I had chocolate croissants for breakfast. every. single. day. (barring 2 days)
I kept Windowbook going!
I practised bhangra amidst a pile of laundry.
I had the most hilarious conversation in English with a bus driver.
I saw a couple snogging in a public park (haw haw).
I went to a rice noodle making factory. -.- (as if I wasnt Asian enough)
I walked in a state of complete disdain bang in the middle of a main road at 2am in the morning (yes danger seeker me).
I was totally unofficially in charge of waking up a persistent sleeper during the official sessions.
I discovered I have incredible luck in buying good fruit.
Passive smoked more than I ever have in my WHOLE life (thank you F.A.P. and J.M.)
Within one night:
I went sleepless, staying up to edit article after consecutive article.
I got verbally threatened by a Caucasian Australian man.
I was given a handmade card.

Did I mention my sleepless nights thing?
Had the most hilarious time bonding with my Editors.
Made friends.
Got nicknamed 'overly efficient bitch'.
And brace yourselves, I didnt log onto Facebook for 10 days.

For 10 days, from July 9-18th, I was away on yet another (and in fact, the last I will undertake) school trip. As part of the team this year, unlike my previous profiles of Blog Caretaker and Head Photographer, I was Editor in Chief. I wrote about 3 articles, and super-edited all the others. If mistakes remain (as I'm sure they do), they are utterly butterly mine. We went to Ho Chi Minh City, and stayed in the very popular tourist district of Ben Thanh. Befriended 6 completely lovely student guides (I have a dance move named after one!). Had a whale of a time. And really, came back with loads of memories. And stories.

Our collective experiences can be viewed here- In Search Of Saigon.
My articles are available here- Abeer's Articles.
Do let me know if you like any of them. Or anything about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment