Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Have You Abeer-ed Today?

I was recently privileged enough to be awarded my own verb on Facebook.
Of course I would love to regale you and your brilliant sense of humour by asking you what you think Abeering means, but because I fear the deluge of responses that might come in, I wont. 
Instead I'll tell you what it means to 'Abeer'. 
If you are Abeering, you have nothing better to do. Simple and short and sweet like that. Useless too.

If it piques your curiousity as to how this verb came into being, well, the funny story is that I like to do this thing, which 'normal' people deem silly. See, at my university cafe, whenever someone makes a purchase at the Drinks counter, you get a receipt. Now the machine that produces the receipt is a little conky I think, because it severs 96.5% of the receipt, but the remaining part stays stuck to the next Reciept That Will Be. So basically, until someone doesnt yank off the whole receipt thing from the machine, this collection of linked 97% disjointed receipts rest uneasily around the cashier. And me, well, nothing makes me happier than to tear them all apart, specially when theres this huuuuuge chain of receipts to yank off and no one gives a care about them. So I just basically stand there, yanking one receipt after the other, finally making a nice thick glossy paper collection, and go and throw it in the Recycling Bin. One day, while I was enjoying this particular hobby of mine, this person I know came up and observed what I was doing, then commented, saying I was very 'bo liao'. This obviously means I have nothing better to do, we're just not sure what dialect this is in. So when I went back home to ask a friend of a friend how bo liao was spelt, in response I got this pretty little message saying that having nothing better to do ought to count as Abeering.


So now that you've read this and everything, only one question remains.
Refer to the blog post title for the question.
And if you havent already, stop wasting your time. Get on with Abeering already!

4 comments:

  1. I guess I m officially a supporter of abeerism from now onwards :d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mundane stuff? Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So mundane, even vegetating looks active in comparison.

    ReplyDelete