Saturday, April 2, 2011

When I Was A Kid

there are 2 memories i would like to leave here.

. I used to love eating milk powder. It was called Nido in Kuwait, manufactured by Nestle, and is called Nespray here in KL. I loved scooping some from the tin (I used to open the metal tin by using the handle end of a teaspoon) and then taking a spoon and eating it. But soon it would get too much, because the white powder would start sticking to the walls next to my molars. And then Id have to be all disgusting and unstick it from there. When I came to KL, I started doing the same with Milo powder. That is all.

. There was one place I loved the most in my old school, the one on Jalan U Thant. O, before I go on. I found out when I was 14 that U Thant was actually a UN Secretary General. Till then, I used to think that the U in U Thant stood for some sort of U-turn like translation in Malay. U Thant was Burmese, just for your knowledge. Anyway, so our old campus was this nice little place on Jln U Thant, very cozy and all. I was about 11 when we moved out from that one to the main road on Jln Ampang, but that place is just kickbum. Its a car showroom now, but it was epic in its time. And the thing I loved most about my old school was its library. I loved being able to stand outside the door, which as it would be opened by a kid, would exude cool air-conditioned air (how precise eh), and then you'd come into this little place that had one table and many many green plastic chairs. there were books around, but the thing i cared most about was this picture of a sad joker. i still remember his bulging red nose. but what i dont remember is whether he was tearing or not. there was a board, the kind they have at supply stores in America, where you can input screws and fix fixtures (o again!). it was white in colour and this painting or print, whatever it was, hung upon that. and then there was the bigger room. there were more green plastic seats there, with many more tables. i dont remember where the librarian used to sit, but i do know that the 4 walls of the library were ceiling to floor (well, almost ceiling) covered in books. the top shelves were seats for trophies Fairview's very own kids had won, whether it was for Sports Day or some other competition. that place was the best. it was cozy and nice and quaint. it wasnt all public library in Washington, but it had a quiet grandeur about it. a sleepiness. you know? i love that. i love sleepy libraries, where you can sleep, where someone can have animated conversations about art, where people can fall in love.
okay im going to stop now. i miss my old school library. that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment