Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mama O Mama!

. Mama just cracked the most hilarious joke ever, like 2 minutes ago. So I was telling her something, and I'm like, 'So tell me, who's the Prime Minister of Australia? Neither of us know who the President of Australia is, but surely you know the who the Prime Minister is' (tbh, i dont even know if they have a President or not, but I'm too lazy to find out). And she identifies, correctly if I may add, Julia Gillard at the helm of the Parliament. To save face because I didnt know who the PM was, I said it was wrong. And then I walked off with an air of concealed indignation. 
To have something to say, I was like, 'Omygod you're such a spectacular fail. I'll bet all my future bucks that when I become a world-class journalist, you'll say, "Yeah, Abeer works at CNN", when in fact I'll be at Al-Jazeera".
To which she responded, "No, I'll tell them that you work at BBC. Because Abeer Baat Bohot Carti (Karti) Hai".
Baat Bohot Carti/Karti Hai- means talks alot. And I'm sure you can see the acronym forming above. You cant really say C instead of K for the Karti, but Mama's never been a stickler for rules like that. Because she's desi.

. So whenever Mama watches a WC match, she's more often than not supporting the underdog. And Papa usually speaks in terms of, 'O, India will lose today, or O, New Zealand have no chance now'. Mama's usually like, 'O, I hope Ireland wins. I'm going to stay up and watch the match till I make Bangladesh win'. This has no relevance to what I want to say, but I thought I'd say it anyway. Just to show you how things work at the Yusufs. Anyway, so we all know that Netherlands has not won a single game. While watching a recent game of theirs, Mama goes, 'Yknow, maybe they should rename their team Neverlands'. 3 minutes ago, she goes, 'Yknow what I said about renaming Netherlands Neverlands? I take that back. They should be called Neitherlands. Because they're neither here nor there.'

. I was washing dishes last night, with my iPod plugged in as usual. The volume was reasonably high and as Mama came in to say something, I told her, unaware of my own volume, that I couldnt hear her. I could hear some smattering of what she was saying, but whenever she said anything, presumably an instruction on what to do next, I kept saying 'Cant hear you, cant hear you!' I saw her leave and I got back to jiving to my tune. Until suddenly, within a second, I realise someone has highjacked my collar, and before I can react, there's a stream of water flowing down my back. My mum comes next to me and says, 'I hope you heard that'.

   __________________________________
Inaugural Post- Mama et Papa!

 . So yesterday night, Mama and Papa were watching England play West Indies. Before I go on, legendary match, if I may say so. So there's this dude playing on the team, called Tredwell. He won Man of the Match, which we thought was unfair considering how spirited Russell was, but that's a completely unrelated point. Basically, the dude's name was getting a little tough for Papa and Mama Yusuf to pronounce. Despite my repeated attempts to correct them, Tredwell remained Dreadwell for Papa and Threadwell for Mama.

. My official graduation pictures have come in, and being the desis that my parents are, 'your high school graduation profile picture was much better', 'look at how you're smiling, like someone's threatening you', and 'look at you, offering a shop full of teeth whenever you can', plus many other comments of such sort followed. But by far the most negative comment I got was my father dissecting my on-stage photograph wherein I'm receiving my degree from the Chancellor. Apparently, my picture does not look good, only and only because unlike the Chancellor, I'm dark. The colour scheme of the black background works for him because he's white, but because I consciously decided to turn dark that day, my face doesnt look that good. Someone needs to tell him that its kind of because of him that I look the way I look. That and that I think his nose is fugly. Because I have the SAME damn nose!

. As I uploaded this post on Facebook, I added a hilarious description. I regurgitate it here for you. 'sometimes i think i have the best mum in the whole world. then i wake up from my nightmare.'

4 comments:

  1. hey abu i know i've told you this a million times already but man i love your mom she's says the awesomest things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks chamma!
    I could never get tired of hearing it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abeer, you're hilarious. If the career as a world-class journalist doesn't pan out for some absurd reason, I think stand-up comedy would be perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Praveena. But I'd just like you point out, Mama's the material. I'm merely the messenger!
    (:

    ReplyDelete