Wednesday, January 5, 2011

intervention- wallpapers

this untimely episode of intervention stems from a trend ive noticed in many many friends.
so if you completely hate me after this i will understand.
what i do not however, in all honesty, understand, is why people like to post and keep pictures of themselves as their desktop wallpapers, twitter pages, and mobile phone wallpapers. 
i have a simple question- why your face?
is it because you'll forget what you look like? 
is it because you cant get enough of yourself?

more often than not, its a very oh-so-very flattering of the person, and im thinking, why? why not pull a Lance* and have a really bad picture? is a self-esteem thing? is it because you get happy when you see such a pretty picture of yourself, which at realtime may or may not be you? 


on a side note, would anyone like to buy me some humourous british literature?
on another, mama just walked off to sleep. before going to bed, she goes,
'shaitan ke baaje baraa
abeer ke baje teraa'

 of which the first line is a metaphor which people use to say that Satan comes out after 12. it translates into
'12 o clock for Satan
13 o clock for Abeer'.
i thought she was referring to me being up at late hours,but no, she asks me a question,
' which is bigger? 12 or 13?'

obvious reply- 13.
so who's the bigger one? Satan or Abeer?
coz' that's how cool my mama is!

*-a Lance is basically taking a photo like Lance Armstrong did. if you read his autobiography, you'd have read the part where he says that he took his drivers license photo just as he looked coming out of chemotherapy, with absolutely no hair, no eyebrows no eyelashes. it was a very moving paragraph and something that demands alot of courage.

3 comments:

  1. abeer i love ur mamma she's so cool and hilarious :P and besides she's the one who told u the meaning of my name which i didn't know either at the time :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello again!

    regarding the topic, it's probably the trend of glamour infiltrating the heads of average joes and janes. a lot of my friends do that, go to brand parties and stand in front of branded name posters and pose a sexyback even though their hinds look disastrous and their skin splotchy, and make it their wallpapers.


    everyone wants to feel like a celebrity no?


    I confess to doing it sometimes though, putting a picture of myself on my phone, or on facebook dp right, but it's not always a myspacey type with pouty lips and heavy-lidded eyes and my hands on my hips while my skirt blows up oh-not-so-subtly to reveal a bit of thigh... hawhaw.


    all in all I think it depends on what kind of picture you're talking about. I will not take offense at this although I did deliberate to take a little, at first. Teehee.
    I like it that I personally pull hideous faces to make others laugh. I do respect people who are not afraid to look 'ugly'. I now want to see the Lance photo you are talking about.


    for an extra pinch of narcissim, yes I like looking at my face, I do sometimes forget what I look like! I don't see my own face as often as the people around me do =P on a serious note, it's a nice feeling after about 15 years of thinking I looked like an alien.

    so there's the difference, self-confidence, or just plain vanity.


    to be clear though, my wallpapers are usually either babies or good ole flickr photographs. Babies make me happy :)

    what about you? what's your plethora of wallpaper choices?

    ReplyDelete
  3. . haha chamath. no dude. you told me that that was the meaning of your name!

    . some strong opinions there ella! i think everyone i know hates those blowfish-myspace photos and thank god! id seriously unfriend people who did that on any medium. i think its more of a remembering myself as i look best kinda thing, but i dont think thats the right approach. i mean, okay yeah, you want to show others when you look your best, but this is your phone or twitter or laptop wallpaper. youre the one who'll be seeing it the most. + on laptops people mostly either expand the picture to unreal proportions, so it looks fat or too tall and thing. weird. point being it doesnt even look pretty. but to each his own.

    haha, you're just looking for something to disagree with me on. and trying so hard!

    also. i dont care much about whats on my wallpaper, as long as its bright, pretty and happy. being happy is like, my thing. my laptop wallpaper was a witty line (i like stuff like that alot as well)which says, "I am Artistic. Please Help Me." My phone wallpaper is some default image that came loaded courtesy Nokia, and is a picture of a few wires, looks very nice thought. And my twitter page is a default design i saw, but coloured in. @aboutabeer is the name! hee hee.

    ReplyDelete