Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mama O Mama

Okay, its official.
I will never ever again in my life try to get Mama to understand a Knock Knock joke.

I love KK jokes and have recently been treated to an excess of them. 

This is one I love ALOT. It goes:

. Knock Knock
. Who's there?
. Hutch.
. Hutch who?
. Bless you!

Funny and straightforward right? Not for my mum. Actually the backstory to this is that she doesn't get KK jokes, and doesn't understand that those exact words, like 'Who's there?' and '_____ who?' need to be said.
Following is what transpired while I was trying to teach her.

Attempt 1:
A: Okay, ma, you know how to do knock knock jokes right?
Ma: Yeah yeah. Okay, lets do it.

A: Okay. Knock knock.
Ma: Who's there?
A: Hutch.
Ma: Dog!

A:HAIN? What dog?
Ma: You're talking about the Hutch dog right? That's why I said it before you could say it. 

For those you don't know, Hutch is a telecommunications' network in India. It now goes by the name of Vodafone, but used to be Hutch, and prior to that, Orange. It's stellar ad campaigns got a lot of attention (and still do) because it featured a dog, a pug to be exact.
This first video is the full length ad when it was first introduced, which was mid-2000s, so excuse the visual quality. Soon after, shorter features were aired with other kids, one of them being this second video (which I personally think is brilliant). You can watch ALL the others on Youtube by clicking Related Links, but the fact of the matter is, that's the first thing Mama thought I meant. So Attempt Number 1- FAIL.

Attempt 2:

A: Knock knock.
Ma: Why do I have to say who's there when you're right in front of me?

Attempt Number 2- FAIL.

Attempt 3:

A: Knock knock.
Ma: Who's there?
A: Hutch.
Ma: Whoat is Hutch.
A: OMGOOOOOOD. Mama you're meant to ask Hutch Who. Not What is Hutch.
Ma: Okay okay, we'll try again.

Attempt Number 3- FAIL.

Attempt 4:

A: Knock knock.
Ma: Who's there?
A: Hutch.
Ma: Who is Hutch?
A: NO MA! Not Who is Hutch? HUTCH WHO.
Ma: But its right grammatically right? Who is Hutch IS Hutch Who.
A: YEAH BUT YOU NEED TO ASK IT THAT SPECIFIC WAY.
Ma: This is stupid. I dont want to play this anymore. Its not even funny.

Attempt Number 4- FAIL.

Attempt 5:

A: Knock knock.
Ma: Who's there?
A: Hutch.
Ma: Hutch is Who?
A: [cries tears of exasperation] 

I have never in my life had to wait SO long to deliver a punchline. So I told her, one last time. Just copy me. And she said okay.

Attempt Number 5- FAIL.

Attempt 6:

A: Knock knock.
Ma: Who's there?
A: Hutch.
Ma: Hutch who?
A: [through manic laughter and snorts] BEEELESH YOU! [I reiterate. I pronounced it this way because the anticipation + the hilarity of it all got too much for me to bear]

Ma: What is beelesh you? Haat [move away], I have work to do.
A: [after sorting myself out] Bless you. Hutch who. Atchoo. Bless you. Bless you.
Ma: O. That's not funny. That's lame.

7 comments:

  1. Dude... Your Mum is awesome... And yes... That was some funny shit...

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA thank you for appreciating it so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahh !! ur moms so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAH!!! MUMMY dearest :D hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i was there i would have died laughing. anyway i laugh so much when im around you and your mom! you guys are hilarious! ♥

    ReplyDelete