Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mama O Mama!

2 things happened today, and both extremely memorable.

. While Mama and I were in bed this afternoon, we were talking about something that had to do with Papa and she said something and I went, "dont bully my Papa okay. you're such a bad wife, you're going to go to Hell for not thinking positive things about your husband"*. And my mum goes, "o, so agar mein burri biwi hoon, to tu kitne burri beti hai yeh kabhi socha hai?" (O, so if I'm a bad wife, have you ever thought of the instances when you've been a badly behaved daughter?). I responded saying, "O please, bolna bhi mat, jab mein kissi ki biwi banoongi naa..." (O please, dont even talk okay, when I become someone's wife...). I was going to state that I would be the coolest wife ever, but I let that thought dissipate and said instead,
"Jis khushnaseeb se meri shaadi ho gi naa..." (you know, the extremely fortunate guy that I get married to...)
which Mama completed before I could add anything else,
"...woh bichara bohot baadnaseeb ho jaye" (...will find his good fortune reversed into ill-fortunes after he gets married to you).

As usual, I had no comeback to top that and dissolved into a fit of giggles, agreeing with my mum**.

. Mum made dinner for me and just as she was done, looked at me, and started, believe it or not, rapping.
This is what she came up with-
"Yummy yummy
Made by mummy,
To fill your tummy"
[insert awkward pause where im just staring at her with a piece of samosa hanging out of my mouth and she's looking at me, which after a minute, she fills by adding the following line...]
"Dude, lets be chummy"
"Dude"
"Dude"
"Now I must go or Papa will make me gummy"
[exits kitchen]



* might I add that this was tongue in cheek. i hope you, the reader, is aware that there exists this notion of being obedient and thinking the world about your husband in South Asian communities. this was a play on that. i dont really want my mum to go to Hell, because im really hoping that at least in the afterlife, she'll leave me be.

** Edit Note- I'd like to say something. I told my mum that I was going to go over and blog about this and she explicitly said no, on account of people thinking that my mum is actually not a nice person and the fact that sometime in the future some guy may actually be really turned off, because common, when the girl's mum is so hell-bent on portraying her daughter as crazy, she must be crazy. but common, this was too awesome to ignore!

2 comments:

  1. Any guy who cares enough to read your blog will hopefully not be turned off by the odd crazy MIL anecdote.

    ReplyDelete