Saturday, March 19, 2011

Woman's On A Mission, Man.

While I was in India in December, the Munni-Sheila debate was all the rage. The show I was working on had recently even concluded an episode on that, because of the topic's consumerist popularity. Anyway, so one persistent I noted both online on Facebook and Twitter, and offline in real discussions, was that of women addressing themselves as Munni. I didnt like it. 
 And I still dont.

Vijaya Badnaam Hui, Darling Tere Liye.
Shilpa Badnaam Hui, Darling Tere Liye.
Azra Badnaam Hui, Darling Tere Liye.

Honestly? Honestly?

You really want to address yourself as a hooker? Dyou really? Perhaps I'm being over-emotional for no reason, but I dont think there's any reason why a well-educated economically-secure person would want to subjugate themselves into a stereotype women have and still are, striving to work so hard to get out of.
On a recent trip to Thailand I had the good fortune to meet an entire agency of sex workers, who said that they were happy doing what they were doing. Not everyone is forced into sex work, after all. This was a conscious choice they'd made. What they didnt appreciate though, was the stereotypes they were constantly battling against.
And why anyone would joke about being disgraced, is beyond me.
Yknow what? Why dont you make the man disgraced for you for a change?

No comments:

Post a Comment