Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dear Reader,

This post stems out of concern. I understand that you will find the medium highly ironic in a minute or two, but it is imperative that I impart with this uneducated opinion of mine, because I dont want you to belong to the quicksand of a vortex that is the Internet. And it is imperative that you see this here, because you're already drowning, and I have no better way to reach you apart from this. I know that is pretty much the same case as it was with the children's TV show that propogated outdoor activity and said that kids ought to stop watching so much TV, but alas, there isnt much I can do to correct this unfortunate cross-roads of a situation.
I say this out of love and fear of losing the ones I love most (I'm assuming at least one person I love is reading this) but it must be said. The Internet was invented to liberate you; data cables enhancing every flight of fancy you wished to undertake; for journerys both magical and fantastical. It was meant to decorate and illuminate your mind, to show things you never thought possible, to connect you to people you thought you had seen the last of, for thousands of miraculous things to happen. 
Yet today, the Internet is confining you. It has spread everywhere, worse than the Great Plague, and shows no signs of stopping. At least they could contain the Plague. This isnt something you can. You know why? At one point, there was some effort you had to go through to access the Internet. You had to sit somewhere, you were confined to a place to access all that was wonderful. Now its everywhere. Its on your phone, its on your tablet, its on your lap. Its everywhere. And yknow what? You're losing touch with people. You're not looking into eyes, you're looking into screens. You're not revealing feelings, you're tweeting. You're not writing, you're blogging (I know what you're thinking. Stop.). You're not on the quest for knowledge, you're Googling. I know I sound like the crazy homeless person from round the corner, who's constantly screaming, 'The end is near. They have landed!', but think about it. They're already here.
Enough. The Internet has confined us enough. We owe so so so much to it, so many thunderous advancements, developments, aid, assistance, so many things that we have to be grateful to the Internet for, but let us control the Internet. Dont let it control you, my love. Dont.
A.


To illustrate this simple point, I'd like to show you a video that the smart guys at Windows picked up on. Please dont become one of these.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment