Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mama O Mama!

There is no experience as superior as watching Mama watch cricket. She understands the basics of the game, but anything finer or intricate like an LBW or silly point or what-have-you, she doesnt get, for which she relies on the commentator and Papa for explanation. I'll admit, I dont know what a lbw is either, apart from what it stands for, but I think I know more than her. Anyway, just to let you all know, from now on, you'll be seeing alot of posts on Mama and the ICC WC. And it will be injected with alot of humour. Cases in point are as follows.

So yesterday we were watching Zimbabwe v. Australia and obviously we were a little taken aback with the Zimbabwean names. So there was this one name, Chigumbura, which sounds like a place in rural Australia to me, but to Mama, it sounds like 'chiggum'. Chiggum is desi talk for chewing gum.

Today, we're watching the Netherlands take on the Engerlands. 
I saw this player called Prior, and I didnt know what his first name was, so I asked Mama what it was. She goes, 'Dont you know that there's nothing prior to Prior?'
Whattay genuis yaar.

So this one dude was playing, and his name's Bas Zuiderent. Turns out this *was* the exact same name I was looking for, of the captains at the Press photocall. I deviate, but point is, when I saw him, I was like, O, Bhhara. Bhhara means rent in Hindi, and is pronounced with a very strong 'r' sound. And my mum's like yeah, there's everyone in this team- bas, bicycle, everyone. Then my mum goes, you know, actually there's a Barish in the team. For those who dont know, barish in Hindi/Urdu means rain. 

So Mr. Rent got out, and while he was walking towards the pavilion, the image feed stopped, so it was like he was frozen there. With his aston and all. I cracked a brilliant joke. I said 'O look. Bas ka picture stop ho gaya. The tv guy must have said, Bas. Stop!'
Bas means stop, or enough in Urdu/Hindi. 

Arent I so funny?

Id also like to say something. I'd love to be a Lankan just to say that I belong to the same country as someone like Kumar Sangakkara, since he's so gorgeous and speaks so well, but that Id hate to belong to the country just because it'd also mean that Id be sharing the same far-out gene pool with the likes of Lasith Malinga. But then again id probably still want to be Lankan, because I could associate myself with the gem of a man that is Mr. Murlidharan. Hes got a heart of gold yknow?

No comments:

Post a Comment