Friday, November 19, 2010

Mama O Mama!

I apologise for this highly late post, but of late, I haven't been able to express my feelings appropriately and been uninspired to post funny stuff.

So here's another edition of what Mama's said, that's extremely hilarious.


As you all know, Prince William just got engaged two days back to K. Middleton, and the media has been gloating on each and every tiny aspect of that. While heading to bed, I started a conversation about it. Now Mama knows just how much I dig Harry and would want him to be my other half, as she knows how much I like Di.

Me: I wish I was Diana's daughter.
Mama: But if you were her daughter, you wouldn't be able to be her daughter-in-law.
Me: Yeah, you're right! But still. I'd want to be her daughter.
Mama: Yeah, that way you'd be a princess right?
Me: Nah, Im not too keen on being a princess. I just want to be her daughter.
Mama: Okay, tell you what. If you want to be Diana's daughter, I can call you Dian.

For those who don't know, Dian in Hindi is akin to a female villian. Genius wordplay on Mama's part.

So we were invited to Mont Kiara for an Eid lunch to these people's place, and they'd recently shifted there. So we were looking for where they were, and Papa had told us that they were at this place called Mont Kiara Banyan. Like the banyan tree. We kept an eye out for it for quite some time, until one point when Mama got frustrated.

Mama: Seriously, where is this place?
(after a minute)
Mama: Such a funny name. Why would anyone want to call their house Banyaan?
Me: (howling with laughter)

For those that don't know, banyaan in our language refers to an undershirt/singlet that men wear. Mama so funny. haw haw.

Anyone who knows me, knows how there are a few certain words that are my staple, whenever I wish to express myself in a particular way. The saddest thing is, I express myself the same way in front of Mama, and it gets very embarrassing when she catches on and starts applying it to conversations with me. Like hello, now I have to find new words to sound cool, because the Law of Coolness states anything your Mama says becomes uncool when she states it.

So we're in a random conversation, as we often are, and she goes:
Yeah, I know what you're going to say. This is LAME. This is so sad. So pathetic. So desi. So Pardesi. So Indian.

I didn't have a comeback because she used up all my cool words!

4 comments:

  1. Dude... Imagine how I felt when my mum started using the word 'hardcore' to describe things...
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA.
    Now whenever I tell Mama to stop saying something or anything at all, she responds with a firm and resounding 'So what? I dont care. Whatever'. All three my trademarks- in one breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm officially the biggest fan of your Mama O Mama posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. why thank you. that makes me feel very good!

    ReplyDelete