Monday, October 11, 2010

Dont Eff With Me!

What is it with profanity becoming the order of the day?
Why is it that every Tom, Mason and Harry you see is swearing in lingo that would put a sailor to shame?

My uneducated and unesteemed opinion does not like it. Since I was a kid of 13, I was vehemently against swearing. Sure, I couldnt go 2 sentences without using the word 'bloody' or 'shit' and still cant, but I'd never use the one ubiquitous word everyone was using to describe everything! I remember one day when I was so frustrated and agitated at a flying scrap of paper that came my way, that I unceremoniously uttered the word with a very stern warning to the person who was sending the paper way to stop it. Everyone in the class stopped and one girl said, "Man, Abeer just swore. She must be really upset".
See that?
That's called value. Knowing that you're not the kind of person who swears left right and centre gives the word value for when you are actually extremely upset. 
It doesnt work so much when you use it to describe what your wet laundry felt like, what the best paella in town tastes like, how angry you are at the waitress for messing up your menu, basically all and sundry! 
Saving it and utilising it for when you're actually angry helps.

Not to mention, not using it actually pushes the creativity boundary and forces you to come up with colourful vocabulary that can better describe what you feel. + you also look like someone who puts effort into insults, which is awesome! 

Also, when that word isnt part of your dictionary, you wont find yourself using it even when you are actually upset. You will instead deviate to other words, simply because that one all-purpose word is not one you use often, or at all.

The other loss I lament is how there is almost no other word left out there to describe feelings. Everything is judged by that one word and the way you utter it. As I said earlier, its value goes down, but at the same time, no one will ever take you seriously when you use it to describe the uncontrollable amount of anger/[insert negative feeling] you are currently undergoing.

The last point is what it spells for the future (no pun intended!). When I was 12 (I honestly never thought that the day when I began a sentence with 'in my time' would come so quickly in my life), the word that would cause us to inhale our breath in class was 'stupid'. We were reprimanded quite severely by our teachers for that too, despite it being such an innocuous word. Today however, kids of 9 unflinchingly use the word like I would 'Space Jam' at my age. This isn't right. I may be a prude in suggesting this, but I believe that children should be of a certain age before they start using words which bear serious derogatory connotations. Not to mention, they need some creativity instilled in them! If this is the case today, in year 2010 of 9 year olds, just imagine what lays in store for the kids of 2015.





*Footnote: The only reason why I have refrained from using the actual word and passed it onto the reader to figure out is because it has recently come to my knowledge that I have visitors who are above 30 and 60. Wouldn't want to seem like an outright spaz to the eldery now would we? (;

3 comments:

  1. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. paahahhahahahaha! Abeer, you use it very often now :P

    but hm i agree, very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell me about it.
    i swear. alot.
    and thank you.

    ReplyDelete